West Junior High was built in 1952-53 at 711 North Curtis Road with Federal funds from Public Law 815. These funds were provided to districts that were impacted with students from people who worked in Federal entities.
The area on the west bench had subdivisions after subdivisions in the 1950's. Landmarks gave way to modern shopping centers. Perkins Store on Cole and Franklin, a familiar place to buy gas, groceries and livestock feed was such a landmark.
Even though West was located on Curtis Road, students came from west and south of the school before Fairmont was built in 1964.