Use of School Facilities
The Governing Board recognizes that district facilities are a community resource whose primary purpose is to be used for school programs and activities. The board will authorize the use of school facilities by community groups for purposes provided for in the Civic Center Act when such use does not interfere with school activities. The Board believes that the use of school facilities should not result in costs to the district. The Board shall charge direct costs to all groups granted facility use under the Civic Center Act.
RULES GOVERNING THE USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES/GROUNDS
1. Permission to use school facilities shall not be granted for more than the current school year, and all applications expire on June 30th. Summer applications expire on September 1st. At the expiration of an application, a new facility use application must be completed.
2. The following weeks shall be reserved for school use only: A) The first and last weeks of school B) The last week prior to the winter break C) Public School Week
3. Use may be denied during declared custodial employee holidays, and during maintenance and cleaning schedules occurring during winter, spring, and summer breaks.
4. Only under special circumstances will permission be granted to use school facilities on Sundays, legal holidays, or beyond 11:00 pm
5. Groups will be assigned accommodations suitable to the size of the group and the activity.
6. Kitchen facilities at schools are not available for use by organizations/groups/individuals unless a district food service personnel is hired (2 hour minimum) to supervise.
7. All school-related activities (clubs, class events, etc...) shall be given priority in the use of facilities under the Civic Center Act. Thereafter, the use of facilities shall be on a first- come, first-serve basis.
8. The superintendent or designee may require a hold harmless agreement when warranted by the type of activity or the specific facility being used.
9. Any persons applying for the use of school property on behalf of any organization or group, shall present written authorization from the organization/group to make application.
10. Organizations/groups applying for the use of school facilities shall submit a statement of information indicating that the organization/group upholds the state and federal constitutions and does not intend to use school premises to commit unlawful acts.
11. In addition to the foregoing defense and indemnity provisions, District shall have no responsibility for, and Agency shall be solely responsible for, protections against the spread of, or claims arising in any manner from, COVID-19.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION FOR USE OF DISTRICT FACILITIES
1. The superintendent or designee shall maintain application procedures and regulations and fee schedules for the use of school facilities which: A) Encourage and assist groups desiring to use school facilities for approved activities. B) Preserve order in school buildings and on school grounds, and protect school facilities. If necessary, a person may be designated to supervise this task. C) Ensure that the use of facilities or grounds is not inconsistent with the use of the school facilities or grounds for school purposes and does not interfere with the regular conduct of school work (Education Code 40042).
2. All organizations/groups/individuals must apply for use of facilities on the district’s facility use application a minimum 10 days in advance of the scheduled use. Applicants may secure a facility use application form from either the office of the Superintendent located at 465 Main Street, St. Helena or from the school office in which the facility is located. The representative making application must be at least 21 years old and must agree to be responsible for the requested facility. Cancellation of the scheduled use of any facilities must be made at least 36 hours prior to the scheduled activity. Each organization/group/individual shall be responsible for the physical condition in which it leaves the facility. The applicant organization/group/individual shall provide a certificate of general liability insurance naming St. Helena Unified School District as an additional insured. The certificate of insurance shall be written with limits of liability of $1,000,000 per person per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage.
3. The principal is responsible for assuring that the applicant has filled out the application accurately and completely and signed the form.
4. Only one application per school year is needed for groups such as St. Helena Recreation Department classes, that meet on a regular basis. The application must list ALL dates and hours requested for the year.
5. The superintendent or facility use director will approve all applications for use of facilities and fields. While school is in session, the authority for approval of the use of the facility rests with the site principal. When school is not in session, the superintendent or facility use director shall authorize use, after every effort has been made to contact the principal.
6. Copies of the approved application will be distributed by the office of the Superintendent as follows: A) Original Copy to the district business office (465 Main Street) B) Copy to applicant C) Copy to principal at the site where facility is located D) Copy to Director of Facilities Use
7. The principal will be responsible for placing the approved facility uses on the master calendar and for the proper timely notification of all personnel involved.
8. The business office will bill the organization/group/individual for the direct cost facility use fees and/or any additional costs incurred. (The undersigned agrees that the attached rule and regulations will be complied with in full. The undersigned, who is in charge of the activity is over 21 years of age.)
I agree that I am responsible to the SHUSD for the use and care of school property. I further agree that the nature of the activity will conform with that stated in the application. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the SHUSD, its officers, agents, and employees against any and all loss, damage and/or liability that may be suffered or claims, demands, and causes of action that may be made or brought against the school district, its officers, agents, and employees, caused by, arising out of, or in any way connected with the use by the undersigned of the SHUSD facility or the exercise of the privilege herein granted. I agree to provide a certificate of insurance and it shall be written with limits of liability of $1,000,000 per person per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage. I understand that my facility reservation may be moved, rescheduled, or canceled to accommodate any and all district events, sports, and activities that may conflict with my event.