Lompoc Unified School District Use of School Facilities
Except as otherwise provided by Education Code § 38134(a), applicant hereby agrees to hold the Lompoc Unified School District, the Board of Education and individual members thereof, and all district officers, agents, and employees free and harmless from any loss, damage, liability, cost or expense that may arise during or be caused in any way by such use or occupancy of the site facilities. The permittee hereby agrees to abide by the laws, and with the rules and regulations covering use of site property.
This application is not approved until signed by the assistant superintendent, business services, or designee and payment of total charges listed on page 4 of application.
The district does not issue refunds on unused rental hours or services.
Board of Education Rules and Regulations
In conformance with sections 38130 to 38139 of the Education Code, the Board of Education of the Lompoc Unified School District has adopted the following rules and regulations covering the use of school facilities for other than school purposes:
Rules and Regulations for Use of Site Property for Public Purposes and as a Civic Center
- Use and occupancy of school property shall be primarily for public school purposes. Any authorized use or occupancy of the property for other than public school purposes shall be secondary and subordinate to this primary purpose.
- Pursuant to Article IX, Section 87, of the California Constitution, no use or occupancy of site property shall be permitted for or in aid of any religious purpose, nor shall any sectarian or denominational doctrine be taught, or instruction thereon be permitted, directly or indirectly, at any meeting on site property, except as otherwise provided for by Education Code section 38131(a)(3).
- No use or occupancy of any district property shall be permitted if the Superintendent/Superintendent’s Designee determines that such use or occupancy is prohibited by law, or that such use or occupancy will interfere with the use of the property for school purposes, or that it will result in picketing, rioting, or other disturbance of the peace, or in damage to the property which will render it unfit for or will interfere with its proper use for school purposes.
- The Superintendent/Superintendent’s Designee may require that it be furnished reasonably in advance with a complete program, with copies of all speeches and addresses and script of any entertainment proposed to be given on site property. If such copy reasonably demonstrates that the program would be in violation of law or of these rules, the proposed use shall not be permitted.
- All individuals, groups or organizations in their use or occupancy of school property shall comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. Any use contrary to or in violation of any law, rule or regulation shall be grounds for cancellation of the permit and removing the users from the property, and shall bar such individual, group or organization from further use thereof.
- The Business Office of the Lompoc Unified School District is authorized to issue all permits for the use and occupancy of school property by all individuals, groups or organizations. If the authorized agent of the Superintendent/Superintendent’s Designee has any question as to the propriety of the request or proposed use, he/she shall not issue a permit but shall refer the application to the Superintendent/Superintendent’s Designee for consideration and action. The applicant in its application shall state the date(s) of use requested; the hours of opening and closing; the title and nature of the entertainment, if an entertainment; the name of the organization for which the application is made; and the name of the owner, producer, or controlling agency if other than the applicant.
- School Districts are permitted to charge reasonable fees to recover direct costs associated with facility use. Permission to use site facilities shall be granted in accordance with a schedule of charges authorized by the Board of Education. Applicant must pay applicable fees before application will be approved. Copies of the schedule are available in the Business Office and at www.lusd.org under Services>Business Services>Facility Use Information.
- Requests for the use of school kitchen facilities shall be considered only when authorized Child Nutrition Services personnel in the Lompoc Unified School District can be present to supervise the activity. Appropriate staff charges will be applied to facility use fees.
- Vending any articles shall not be permitted at any use or occupancy of the site property for civic center purposes without permission having been previously granted.
- Except as otherwise provided by Education Code § 38134(a), any individual, group or organization using school property for civic center or other purposes shall hold the Lompoc Unified School District, the Board of Education and individual members thereof, and all District officers, agents and employees free and harmless from any loss, damage, liability, cost or expense that may arise during or be caused in any way by such use of occupancy of school property.
- Applications shall be specific as to furniture or equipment needed and as to room arrangements required. If necessary, specific instructions may be on a separate sheet that is attached to the application.
- Site furniture or apparatus shall not be removed or displaced by any permit holder without permission from and without supervision of the District employee in charge.
- District personnel will not be required to supply furniture not available at the school requested, or do work not specified for on the application.
- No preparations shall be used on the floors at any time by permit holders.
- Any breakage, damage, or loss of district property shall be paid for by the permit holder, even though such loss was caused by a person, or persons, who may not officially belong to the group. Cost shall be established by the Business office and a proper invoice shall be submitted to the permit holder. Failure to pay for such damage promptly shall be grounds for refusal of future applications and grounds for civil action in the courts of California.
- Permit holders must observe the ordinary rules of cleanliness and shall not leave any facility used littered with paper or trash. If facilities are left littered and unsanitary, the permit holder will be invoiced for the cost necessary to clean the facility for school use.
- Upon approval of application, the District shall designate a regular employee to open the facility, to be in charge during the use, and to close the facility after the use, such costs to be borne by the permit holder. The District employee in charge of the facility or grounds within or upon which any meeting is held is empowered to take all necessary means to enforce these rules. (EC 40052)
- When facility use is for any PARTY/CELEBRATION, security services MUST be present. There shall be one security guard per 100 attendees. Applicant must make arrangements for security services and a copy of the fully executed (signed and payment procured) security agreement must be presented to the Business Office in order to receive signed approved copy of the Lompoc Unified School District Application & Permit for Use of School Facilities.
- Any permit for use of school facilities may be revoked where conflicting dates have resulted or where need of the property for public school purposes has subsequently developed. For other cause, permits may be revoked at any time upon reasonable notice. The district reserves the right to schedule activities at any of its facilities in order to allow for proper maintenance and repair of school buildings and grounds.
- For the required review of qualifications under the law, applicable charges, and dates and locations requested, applications must be submitted THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF EVENT.
- .All changes to the application require written notice to the Business office 48 hours in advance of intended use to avoid financial obligation for any charges involved. When cancellations occur, the applicant will be charged a cancellation fee of $50.00 plus any district expenses. Reimbursement of paid fees may be made upon written request from the permit holder less cancellation fee and district expenses. The Business office will notify all school personnel involved of the change/cancellation.
- Admission to all meetings held in district facilities shall be limited to the posted seating capacity of the facility authorized for such use. Tickets may be sold and/or issued for posted seating capacity only. THIS IS A FIRE REGULATION.
- No permit for the use of site property shall be granted to any individuals for any purpose which would discriminate against persons because of their race, color or creed.
- Site premises shall not be used by groups later than 9:45 p.m. The premises must be vacated by 10:00 p.m.
- Only the authorized holder of the permit shall distribute any literature or other material at a civic center meeting.
- The school office shall assume no responsibility for mail for a non-school group, and shall not permit the use of the school telephone or school mail by any such group or representative thereof.
- If free use is granted, as provided in the Civic Center Act, the meeting shall be non-exclusive and shall be open to the general public.
- All youth organizations or groups must have adequate adult sponsorship and adequate adult supervision. Sponsors and supervisors of such groups must at all times exercise control and maintain a high standard of conduct with all members of the group.
- A permit for use of any site facilities is non-transferable.
- Site premises shall not be used by any person, group or organization as political campaign headquarters.
- All costs for District personnel required for the event shall be billed to permit holder by the Lompoc Unified School District Accounting department. No gratuities shall be given to or accepted by District personnel.
- THE USE AND OR POSSESSION OF ANY TOBACCO PRODUCTS, ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, WEAPONS, OR DRUGS IS PROHIBITED ON DISTRICT PROPERTY AND IS A VIOLATION OF STATE AND FEDERAL LAW. Products containing tobacco and/or nicotine, include but are not limited to, smokeless tobacco, snuff, chew, clove cigarettes, and electronic nicotine delivery systems, such as electronic cigarettes, electronic hookahs and other vapor emitting devices, with or without nicotine content, that mimic the use of tobacco products.
- The use of profane language, fighting, betting or any form of gambling, conducting a raffle or lottery, all are expressly prohibited. Violation of this rule shall be sufficient cause for denying the permit holder further use of school premises.
- Applications will be approved for specific rooms and for specific hours, to be designated by the District. The use of classrooms by any group is declared to be an interference with the educational program and will not be allowed unless a vacant classroom exists, or an unusual need exists that may be accommodated without interfering with the educational program.
- A fee for restrooms will be added to all applications for the use of district property. For events using fields or the stadium, portable toilets may be rented by the applicant. Such arrangements require the approval of the Business office and the name and phone number of the portable toilet vendor must be on the application.
- It is the responsibility of the permit holder to see that unauthorized portions of the building are not used by members of their group, and that the premises are vacated as scheduled.
- District personnel are not obligated to have the building open at any time other than the time listed on the application.
Statement of Information
“The undersigned states that the organization applying for use of the property upholds the United States and California Constitutions, and that the site property for the use of which application is hereby made will not be used for the commission of any act which is prohibited by law, or for the commission of any crime. I certify (or declare) under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.”