John W. Stewart Middle School is located in the northeast section of Douglas County within the city limits of Douglasville, Georgia. John W. Stewart Middle School has undergone many changes since opening its doors in 1957. Originally known as R. L. Cousins, it was a first through twelfth grade school serving the African-American community of Douglas County. In 1972, the school became integrated and was renamed Douglas County Junior High School. In 1973, it was given its present name in honor of Mr. John W. Stewart, who was the principal from 1957 until 1977.