After a year of shutdowns, the ten sections of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) have released new guidelines that will allow athletes back on fields and even inside gyms and pools. While athletic directors, coaches, and student athletes scramble to follow new and ever-changing guidelines, high school facility administrators must also prepare for the changes and the challenge of hosting multiple sport’s seasons across a short period of time.
To help administrators, Facilitron has prepared a checklist for getting your facilities ready for the return of high school athletics and will host a new Ask the Expert webinar on California athletics featuring CIF and section commissioners as well as athletic directors. We’ll discuss the return to athletics and review the guidelines set by each section.
Facilitron Admin Checklist for the Return of HS Athletics
- Review and share CIF Sports CV-19 Guidelines (Updated March 16, 2021)—Make sure your district is aware of the latest CIF Covid-19 guidelines in order to prevent programs from being shut down after a long awaited return.
- Notify all staff of any new requirements for athletic programs—Has your county dictated capacity limits for athletics? Are spectators allowed at games? Facilitron can assist in setting limits, presenting guidelines, and tracking district practices in order to keep everyone safe and in compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Update internal schedules for all athletic fields and facilities—Work with athletic directors to ensure all practices, games, and tournaments in the platform. Facilitron will assist in entering schedules and in providing training if requested.
- Open Availability through December 31, 2021—Administrators should contact their Facilitron account manager to open facility availability so the CIF and other leagues can request dates and times for events. This allows for the large number of back-logged events in need of scheduling to begin. Review with your pre-approvers how to approve, decline, or suspend reservation requests.
- Approve/decline all CIF and section requests for league game and tournament facility use—It is critical that all game and tournaments be approved sooner rather than later in order to allow high school athletes the ability to finish out their seasons. Admins should review pending requests on a daily basis and remember, if something changes, Facilitron can assist in repurposing reservations so don’t hesitate to say yes!
- Update maintenance, grounds, and custodial with agenda views of athletic events—Facilitron allows you to create agenda calendar views that can be emailed regularly to departments involved in the cleaning and maintenance of athletic facilities.
- Add a layer of liability protection by using Facilitron’s Attendee Management feature to track everyone on campus—Whether it's a single-point-of-entry, a QR code check-in for athletes, or a touch-less health screening; Attendee Management is available to all districts to track every person on campus in order to provide information in case there’s a need for a contact tracing investigation.
- Utilize Facilitron’s calendar features to keep staff, students, and parents informed of any calendar changes—Easily create calendars with practice, game, and tournament schedules and share the iCal links so that these calendars feed directly onto athletic participants and stakeholder’s Google and Outlook calendars.
Ask the Expert: HS Athletics Panel
Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 10am PT
Join our CIF panel-of-experts discussion about current practices for returning high school athletics during a pandemic. Panelists include: Commissioner Dave Grissom, Assistant Commissioner Marco Sanchez, West Catholic Athletic League Commissioner Jolene Fugate, and Hillsdale HS Athletic Director James Madison. Register HERE.
CIF Section Guidelines
Central Coast: March 5, 2021 Modified Calendar
Los Angeles City: March 18, 2021 Covid-19 Updates and Return to Play
North Coast: March 19, 2021 Youth Sports Q&A
Northern: March 2, 2021 Playoff Calendar
Sac-Joaquin: January 21, 2021 COVID-19 Sports Update
San Diego: March 5, 2021 CIF San Diego Section Update
San Francisco: March 23, 2021 Athletics Approved for Return to Play