Mr. Poynter came to Hillsboro in 1937 and presided over the district during a time of great growth. In his 19 years as superintendent, he saw the system grow from 500 students, 21 teachers and two and one half buildings to nearly 1,600 students, 73 teachers and four buildings. When Hillsboro school District openened a new Junior high school on Grant street. It was christened J.W. Poynter School.