In 1853, John Sloan built the first Elmwood building at the south of Copperopolis road. This one-classroom Charity Dale school grew and received its first school bell and an elm tree was planted near the school. The school experienced some rough times and closed for 8 years. When it finally reopened, the school name was changed to Elmwood, appropriately enough for the many elm trees planted at the school. 50 students of all ages and grades (K-8) now crowded in the little one-room building working together with only one teacher. In 1920, a one-story, 2-classroom, California mission style school was built for $11,000. In 1949, a newly remodeled Elmwood Grammar School would reopen again at 840 S. Cardinal Avenue with 17 classrooms for grades K-3. The school was suppose to be finished earlier but WWII interfered with these plans. The old California mission style school was later demolished.